July 8, 2012

Herb-Roasted Summer Vegetable Salad

Man oh man I just L.O.V.E. summer produce!  There is something about the fresh abundance of colors, flavors, shapes, and sizes of summer foods that I can't seem to get enough of.  I honestly think that I could eat fruits and vegetables for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all summer long and not get sick of them in the least.

HM...HMMM...GOOD!

Last night Bo and I headed over to a friend's house for a dinner party.  I was in charge of bringing a salad.  I'm not sure, but I suspect that the hostess was expecting a salad filled with the the traditional mixed greens, tomato, carrots, celery, etc.  But you know me, I had something totally unique in mind (go figure)!  Instead, there wasn't a piece of lettuce in sight, and in its place was a regular cornucopia of rainbow-colored vegetables, dried herbs, and a tangy-sweet vinaigrette.

Honestly, who wants to eat the same ol' boring dinner salad anyways?!

If you have a plethora of summer produce ripe and ready to be eaten, this salad is for you!  My kitchen was overflowing with squash, mushrooms, asparagus, and tomatoes - so that's what I used - but feel free to substitute any of the ingredients with what you have on hand.  Zucchini, green beans, and/or potatoes might be wonderful exchanges or additions.   Whatever vegetables you use, DON'T FORGET the herbs!  The sweet pine and citrus flavor of the marjoram is a must, and you can never go wrong with a little basil and thyme.

Herb-Roasted Summer Vegetable Salad
Serves 2-4

3 small crooked neck squash, cut into half moons
3 tomatoes, cut into cubes
1 packet of mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 bunch of asparagus, woody ends removed and cut in half
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
3T EVOO, divided in half
1T apple cider vinegar
1T Dijon mustard
1/2T lemonjuice

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Place the squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, salt, pepper, marjoram, basil, thyme, and 1 1/2T EVOO into a large mixing bowl.
  • Toss to coat.
  • Pour onto a large baking sheet.
  • Roast for 30-35 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, whisk together the remaining 1 1/2T EVOO, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and lemonjuice.
  • After the vegetables have finished roasting, pour over the dressing and toss to coat.
  • Refrigerate until chilled.

I'm not sure, but I think my photography may be getting a teensy bit better.  What do you think?  Can you see any improvement?!


Question of the Day:


What are your favorite herbs to use in the kitchen (by the way, salt and pepper don't count as herbs)?


I tend to use a lot of basil, thyme, and oregano; but I also LOVE to experiment with new herbs...they really can take a so-so dish and change it to out-of-this-world status!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment