July 29, 2012

Banana Melon Smoothie

Everybody knows that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.  I mean, honestly, the proof is in the pudding, right?!  I have more breakfast recipes on my blog (thus far) than any other type of recipe.  Granted, most of these recipes include oats; but what can I say?  I LOVE oatmeal.

But today's post has NOTHING to do with oatmeal.

Nope, there isn't an oat in sight.  

You see, yesterday morning I was craving something different for breakfast.  By 7:30AM it was already H.O.T. outside (over 95 degrees, with the heat index!).  Needless to say, I wasn't in the mood for my regular hot tea or hot chai.  Instead, I had an overwhelming craving for a smoothie.

But not just any smoothie...

...I wanted to incorporate the sweet, juicy, freshness of melon!

Sweet and bursting with flavor, this smoothie is the perfect way to start a summer morning off with a BANG!  The frozen banana makes it creamy, the flax gives it staying power (along with fiber, antioxidants, and healthy omega-3's), and the melon simply makes it delicious.  Feel free to use cantaloupe, honeydew, or any type of specialty melon.

Banana Melon Smoothie
Serves 2

1 large banana, broken into pieces and frozen
1 heaping C of melon (I used cantaloupe)
2T ground flax
1/4C orange juice
1/4C Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk

Directions:
  • Add the banana, melon, flax, orange juice, and almond milk to your blender.
  • Blend on the lowest speed first, and then gradually increase the speed.
  • Continue blending for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly smooth.
  • Serve chilled, as a snack, or alongside your breakfast of choice!


I decided to add flax meal to the smoothie for a number of reasons, but primary because flax contains significant amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids.  It is also high in B vitamins, which is important for someone like me who doesn't receive those vitamins from animal protein.  If you want to learn more about the benefits of adding a tablespoon of flax to your morning smoothie, oatmeal, etc., just read here.


Question of the Day:


What is your favorite summer drink?  Is it iced coffee? A milkshake?  A smoothie?  Iced tea?  Orange juice?   Tell me all about it in the "Comment" section below!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment