July 10, 2012

Summer Vegetable Soup

ANNOUNCEMENT: Today I am a "Guest Blogger" over at Nutrition in a peanut shell!  Katie writes an awesome blog, and while she is on vacation she invited me to keep her readers company.  I am super duper honored to be filling Katie's shoes for the day.  So go ahead, click on over and see what I had to share?!
As much as I love to roast vegetables, sometimes I like a little "change of pace."  Even though the Florida temperatures have been scorching for the past few days weeks months,  last night I was actually craving - of all things - soup.

So, I decided to do a little bit of research on some of my favorite blogs and ended up settling on Ashley's recipe for "Very Veggie Soup."  Quite the creative maven in the kitchen, Ashley also comes up with budget-friendly recipes that use ingredients that almost everyone has lying around in their kitchen (i.e. no fancy coconut flours, rice syrups, and xantham gums there!).  With that said, I did make a few alterations to Ashley's recipe.

Specifically:
  • instead of 75oz. of broth, I used 6 cups (we prefer a chunkier soups);
  • in place of the broccoli and mushrooms I used cauliflower and zucchini (those were the vegetables I had on hand);
  • I reduced the oil to 1T;
  • I added several herbs including parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper (In my opinion, the more herbs the merrier!);
  • I added 1/2 package of whole wheat fettuccine noodles; and
  • I didn't add any additional protein (I didn't have anything on hand that would have worked very well).

It might seem a bit strange to you, but Bo and I enjoyed eating this soup chilled, with a large salad on the side.  Filled with vegetables, noodles, and herb-enriched flavor, this soup is summer in a bowl!  For extra protein, feel free to add diced chicken, sausage, quinoa, or garbanzo beans.

Summer Vegetable Soup
Serves 4

6 C vegetable broth
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 ribs of celery, diced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 head of cauliflower, chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 package whole wheat fettuccine
1T EVOO
1/4C low-sodium soy sauce
1T honey
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried parsley
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
  • Bring the broth to a low boil.
  • Add the carrots, celery, onion, cauliflower, and zucchini.
  • Cook for five minutes.
  • Add the EVOO, soy sauce, honey, paprika, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
  • Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Add the noodles and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
  • Serve warm, or chilled, accordingly to preference.


Next time - I'll share the secret behind my homemade peach jam (no canning required!).  If you like fruit, jams, and compotes you won't want to miss this!

Question of the Day:


Do you still eat soup in the summertime...gazpacho anyone?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment