July 15, 2012

Dill Potato and Pea Salad

As I mentioned at the end of my last post, Bo and I spent our Saturday afternoon (and early evening) at an a pool party!  The host asked me to bring something that I could eat, since hamburgers, hot dogs, and their respective fixings were to be the main course.  Consequently, I decided to bring something filling (so that I wouldn't be stuck eating watermelon and chips the whole afternoon), but also crowd-pleasing.

Enter: potato salad.

Before I go on, I feel like I need to acknowledge that - YES - I am aware that I have already posted two potato salad recipes on this blog; and - NO - I am not addicted to this summer picnic favorite (OK, maybe just a little bit, but it's nothing to worry about!).  It just so happens that:

  • potatoes are delicious;
  • almost everybody loves them; and
  • there are practically endless ways to dress it up in a salad! 
If you're like me, and you love the taste of dill, then this is the potato salad for you!  Baby new potatoes really make this salad something special; but if you don't have them on hand, Russet or Idaho would work in a pinch.  The peas give it a sweet crunch, and the dill brightens everything up!  Kid-tested and mother-approved Meat-eater tested and vegan approved, this salad will leave everyone satisfied!

Dill Potato and Pea Salad
Serves 6-8

8 medium (red) New Potatoes, cubed, boiled, and drained
can of green peas, drained and rinsed (or frozen)
4 scallions, diced
1/4C veganaise (or mayonnaise)
1/2T apple cider vinegar
1/2T lemonjuice
1T water
1 tsp dried dill weed
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:
  • While the cubed potatoes are boiling, place the peas and scallions into a large salad bowl.
  • Meanwhile, whisk together the veganaise, apple cider vinegar, lemonjuice, water, dried dill week, salt, and pepper until it reaches a smooth consistency.
  • Once the potatoes are fork-tender, drain them.
  • Toss the potatoes into the salad bowl with the peas and scallions.
  • Pour over the dressing,
  • Toss to coat.
  • Refrigerate until cool.
  • Serve alongside your favorite summer "fixins"!

If you still haven't had enough potato salad, feel free to check out my other two recipes:
  1. Green Chile Potato Salad; and
  2. Honey Dijon Potato Salad.
Next time - musings on "things that make me - and YOU - feel pretty"!

Question of the Day:


What is your favorite variation of potato salad?  Feel free to share it with me in the "Comment" section below!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. My Favorite version of Potatoe salad is...simple,simple simple....here goes...Good Mayo[kraft], a little mustard, and pickle relish....a dash of salt and pepper....that's it! WaLah. i don't know the amounts I just eyeball it and do the old taste test

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Eyeballing" is the best! A lot of the times when I am creating a new recipe I catch myself just "eyeballing" things, and then I have to stop and consciously write down the measurements for each ingredient (so that I can share it with you here on the blog)!

      Delete