July 31, 2012

Asian Cucumber and Tofu Salad

I like Asian food.
I like Mexican food.
I like Indian food.
I like American food.
I like Vietnamese food.
I like Thai food.

I
LIKE
FOOD.

And I REALLY LOVE FOOD when it looks and tastes like this!


Filling, but not heavy.   
Flavorful, but not overpowering.  
Veggie-packed, but not rabbit food.  

This dish is all three of these things and MORE!


So what are we waiting for?  I have some Olympics on DVR to get to, and I know that you must be salivating for the recipe.  Here goes(!):

Asian Cucumber and Tofu Salad
Serves 2-4

1 cucumber, peeled and diced
2 carrots, shredded
1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
1 bunch of kale, torn into bite-size pieces and rinsed
2T soy sauce
2T rice vinegar
1T oil
1/4 (heaping) tsp ground ginger
1T honey
pepper, for garnish
sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions:
  • Combine the cucumber, carrots, and tofu in a large salad bowl.
  • In a small jar, shake together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, oil, ginger, and honey.
  • Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
  • Once heated, add the kale.
  • Pour half of the dressing over the kale.
  • Cook until the kale turns bright green and begins to wither.
  • Once wilted, add the kale to the large salad bowl.
  • Pour the remaining half of the dressing over the vegetable mixture.
  • Toss to coat.
  • Season with pepper and a generous amount of sesame seeds.
  • Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of  2 hours.  The flavors of this salad with improve over time.
  • Serve chilled.


And if you don't like tofu - or, rather, aren't willing to give it a fair shot - then feel free to replace it with your favorite protein!  Personally, with the dishes Asian flare, I think that seared tuna would be a great fit; but if you aren't into seafood, then I am sure that either chicken or pork would taste just fine.

Question of the Day:


Do you like Asian flavors such as soy sauce, rice vinegar, and the like?!  

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment