Sweet Potato, Zucchini, and Spinach Hash with Fried Eggs
2 small sweet potatoes, diced
1/2 tsp pepper
2T EVOO, divided
1 purple onion, diced
2 small zucchini, diced
3C spinach, washed and patted dry
1/2tsp chili powder
1/4tsp cayenne pepper
zest of one lemon
- Heat 1T of the oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add the diced sweet potatoes, 1/2tsp salt, and 1/4tsp pepper, and cook for 15 minutes - or until tender.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the saucepan.
- Add the remaining 1T of oil to the saucepan, and then toss in the onion, zucchini, spinach, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, and lemon zest.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes back into the saucepan, and toss to incorporate.
- Create four mini-holes in each quadrant of the veggie mixture.
- Crack an egg into each hole. Cover with a large top, and simmer until eggs are cooked to your desired consistency.
- Serve with salsa and a scattering of shredded cheddar cheese.
Bo and I both devoured our perfect bowl's full of the hash! Interestingly, I had left out a package of ground turkey to defrost all day, thinking that Bo would want/need the added protein in the meal. Instead, after he finished eating his entire plateful he realized that we totally forgot to brown the turkey and add it to his plate. I guess that just goes to show you that sometimes vegetarian meals really are both satisfying AND delicious. SCORE!
Question of the Day:
What's your favorite recipe that you have cooked RECENTLY? I would love to hear what you and your family are enjoying as summer transitions into fall.
Ally and Bo