September 13, 2012

Herb-errific Pasta Frittata


Who am I, and what have I done with Ally?!

Well, I assure you that I really am myself...I just happen to have found another way that I LOVE to eat my pasta (strange, I know).  As you might have read from the "About" page, I love to watch the Cooking Channel.  In fact, one of my favorite programs is Giada at Home with Giada de Laurentis.  Unsurprisingly, Giada cooks with a lot of pasta (come on, she IS Italian, after all).  The other day she made this pasta frittata that looked sooooooo good.  Seriously, both Bo and I's mouths was watering by the end of the episode.  

A day later, we had a potluck-style party to go to.  So, I decided to look up Giada's recipe online and recreate it.  For the party, I followed her recipe to the tee.  It turned out really well - in fact, I received several rave reviews from party-goers; BUT...that got my wheels turning.  I started to think about ways that I could re-make Giada's admittedly delicious recipe EVEN BETTER with a few minor tweaks.  In the end, I:

  • replaced the whipping cream with unsweetened almond milk;
  • used 1/2C organic Parmesan and 1/2C organic cheddar cheese (instead of 1C Parmesan);
  • replaced the thyme with a mixture of marjoram, oregano, and parsley; and
  • garnished the frittata with plain Greek yogurt (the creaminess REALLY sets off the richness of the frittata perfectly).

If I do say so myself (and Bo agrees), I think my version is even better than Giada's!  Granted, her recipe was my inspiration, and without it to kick-start my creativity, I doubt that I would have come up with this dish on my own.  Regardless, I am pretty proud of my final product...and my tummy's pretty happy about it too!


Note: I know that the directions below might seem a little overwhelming; but truthfully, this is actually a very easy dish to make.  I simply wanted to be as clear as possible in my directions.  Don't let them scare you away from making this delectable dish...it's a crowd-pleaser, I promise!


Herb-errific Pasta Frittata
Serves 6-8

6 eggs (I used organic and vegetarian fed)
3T unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
1/2C organic Parmesan cheese
1/2C organic cheddar cheese, shredded
3tsp dried marjoram
1tsp dried oregano
2tsp dried parsley
1/2tsp salt
1/2tsp pepper
3C penne pasta, cooked and cooled
2T EVOO
2-4T plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream), for garnish

Directions:
  • Heat a large, non-stick saucepan over medium heat.
  • Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl.
  • Add the milk, and whisk until smooth.
  • Add the Parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, marjoram, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper.
  • Stir together.
  • Add 1T EVOO to the heated saucepan.
  • Add the pasta to the egg/cheese/herb mix, and toss to coat.
  • Swirl the EVOO around the saucepan, and then immediately pour in the frittata mixture.
  • Gently press down the frittata mixture.
  • Cook for eight minutes.
  • Loosen the frittata with a large spatula.
  • Place a large plate on top and, in one rapid movement, flip the frittata over.
  • Add 1T of EVOO to the saucepan, and then re-insert the frittata in the pan with the uncooked side down.
  • Cook for an additional five minutes.
  • Remove, cool for five minutes, and then slice into wedges.
  • Serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) alongside a fresh salad.


Just looking at these pictures has me ready for lunch.

I am SO. HAPPY. that we have leftovers!


Question of the Day:

Assuming you eat eggs (which - by the way - is totally cool if you don't...I didn't for years), do you prefer an omelet, a frittata, or a quiche?!  OH, and what are some of your favorite fillings for each?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment