September 9, 2012

Light and Lemon-y Pasta

Night before last I was (strangely) craving pasta.  Usually, pasta is not my thing.  I'm not sure why, but I just don't really crave it...maybe it's because I usually find it to be too heavy and unsatisfying.  More times than not, I end up making it for Bo, and throwing together something else completely for myself.

Not two night ago.

Surprisingly, I actually wanted pasta, AND I wanted the last of our summer tomatoes.  So, I threw together a light and lemon-y pasta dish that satisfied all of my cravings.  The result was colorful, nutritionally balanced, and - most importantly - delicious!


Light and Lemon-y Pasta
Serves 2

2 campari tomatoes, diced
2 handfuls of spinach, torn
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2C uncooked pasta
1/2 lemon (squeezed to remove juice)
1/2T EVOO
1/4C Parmesan
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 avocado, diced

Directions:
  • Add the diced tomatoes, torn spinach, and lemon zest to a large mixing bowl.
  • Cook the pasta according to package directions.
  • While the pasta is cooking, whisk together the lemon juice and EVOO.
  • Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then immediately add it to the tomato/spinach/lemon zest mixture.  Toss together.
  • Add the Parmesan cheese, and then pour the lemon juice and EVOO dressing on top.
  • Toss to incorporate and melt the cheese.
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  • Garnish with avocado chunks, and serve quickly (before the avocado turn brown).


Oh hi Lola!  
(Thanks for poppin' in!)

You can always count on Lola to be close by whenever food is involved...surprisingly, she loves ALL food (i.e. not just meat and peanut butter).  Even if I am cooking a vegan/vegetarian dish, she is directly under-foot and intently interested (and hopeful that I might drop a mouthful - or two)!


I captured the perfect lighting in the picture below (probably my favorite out of the bunch).  You can really see all of the dish's colors in this one:
  • red from the tomatoes;
  • green from the spinach and avocado;
  • brown from the pasta;
  • yellow from the lemon zest; and
  • flecks of white from the Parmesan cheese.  

Hmm...hmmm...good!


As a TOTAL tangent: 
Look at how much my hair is growing!


Remember when is was THIS short?!

(That was last Thanksgiving...less than a year ago!)

Now it is just above my shoulders, and I can almost pull it into a full ponytail.  


For now, I am just going to keep letting it grow.  I don't really have any specific length in mind...as long as it continues to look healthy and shiny then I will just keep letting it get longer.  Who knows, maybe one day it will get this long...


Question of the Day:

What's your favorite pasta shape? Macaroni? Penne? Spaghetti? Lasagna? Shell? Orzo?

Personally, I like shells and penne because they capture lots of yummy sauce inside! :)

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

6 comments:

  1. I can never decide my favorite pasta shape... I loooove pasta in all forms. I think spirals are my current favorite. Your dish looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, your pasta dishes are some of the only ones I have liked in my whole life. You are a recipe maven with pasta...I should take notes from your skills! :)

      Delete
  2. By the way - your hair looks amazing, at any length!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ma'am! I would love to grow out my hair as long as yours...well just have to wait and see if it still looks healthy that long!

      Delete
  3. Just had to respond on my 'Beautiful Girl'. Can't believe how long your hair has gotten. So shiny, beautiful and healthy. I agree with Paige...your hair looks great at any length....You would probably look good... bald...haha, but seriously your eyes always just sparkle. But from the moment I saw you, you have always captivated my heart, I think it's beyond the outward, because I see through those eyes into your soul...Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! Can't wait to see you in just THREE DAYS!

      Delete