Question: When I say "peas and carrots" what's the first thing that comes to mind?
Answer: FORREST GUMP!
Well, at least, that's what comes to mind for me. Whenever I hear the phrase "peas and carrots" this scene from the movie automatically pops up:
Man, that's a great movie. As an interesting sidenote, for those of you that don't know, my brother's name is actually Forrest (although, he was named after Nathan Bedford Forrest not Forrest Gump).
Anywho, today's post is NOT about the movie, but rather about the food combination itself. At some point or another, I think that everyone has eaten the traditional peas and carrots combination. But, if my experience is any indicator, peas and carrots are usually mushy (due to canned peas), bland (due to a lack of seasoning), and forgettable (generally "bleh" on the YUMM-O scale).
Well today that all changes!
Kick-It-Up-A-Notch Peas and Carrots
1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
1 bag frozen peas
1/2T Smart Balance (or butter)
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss with sliced carrots with EVOO and salt and pepper.
- Place the carrots on a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes until carrots are tender and beginning to brown around the edges.
- While the carrots are roasting, place peas in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Boil 3 minutes, until tender.
- Drain, toss with Smart Balance, and season with salt and pepper.
- Once the carrots are roasted, add them to the peas and toss to incorporate.
- Season with garlic powder and, if necessary, additional salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.
This dish pairs perfectly with a side of brown rice/quinoa/millet and your protein of choice!
Question of the Day:
Have you ever put a spin on a classic recipe? If so, I would love hearing about your creativity in the kitchen in the "Comment" section below!
Ally and Bo