April 27, 2012

Coloring 4.0

In my continued quest to be a "sort-of-artist" (I say "sort-of-artist" because I don't sell my work or consider it my full-time job.  It's just something I do in my spare time), I continue to hone my skills in my medium of choice - crayons and markers.  Recently, I have noticed a significant evolution in my coloring technique (and yes, I just used the word "technique" in reference to crayons...get over it).  Specifically:

  • While in the past my coloring's would leave quite a bit of "white space", my newest pieces contain little to none of it.
  • While pursuing deeper pigmentation, I am using a much heavier hand with the crayons - pressing down firmly so that the wax completely shades the intended area.  This is quite distinct from my lighter-handed approach in earlier pieces (feel free to compare my pieces here and here with today's post).
  • In general, I am using darker color palettes - branching into blacks, browns, and grays, and also employing more jewel and obscure tones.

While I am coloring, I am not thinking about anything outside of the piece at hand.  Perhaps it is for that exact reason that I found myself coloring a LOT when Bo was out of town for work.  In just a little over a two-week period I colored all of the pieces below...fifteen in total, representing 30+ hours of coloring.

Crazy...I know!

To be honest, I'm not sure why I am drawn to mandalas...maybe it is their balance.  Whatever it is, I find coloring mandalas to be particularly calming and meditative.  I have also recently been drawn to geometric patterns and shapes.  Something about their abstract patterns really get my creative juices flowing.

Just as a refresher:  the word mandala originates from Sanskrit and means "circle".  Mandalas represent wholeness.  I find it interesting that mandalas are around us all of the time, whether we realize it or not (i.e. the Earth, sun, moon, and the abstract circle of friends, family, and community).  While we currently have 16 of my mandalas hanging in our guest bedroom, and several other pieces decorate our bedside tables and a stool, I think that my most recent pieces are going to stay filed away for a while.  Eventually, I might look into Mod Podging them for friends or family, making coasters, or doing who knows what!  We'll just have to see what my creative mind comes up with!

In the meantime...

...here is a closer look at my newest completed works:

#1 - Snake Dance


#2 - Seated Meditation


#3 - Blooming Hibiscus


#4 - It's a Rainbow Kind of Day


#5 - Photosynthesis


#6 - Pinwheels and Diagrams


#7 - In the Pink


#8 - Circus Balls 1.0


#9 - Circus Balls 2.0


#10 - Sunlight Through Your Window


#11 - Twilight


#12 - Forks, WA


#13 - Tangerine Tango 


#14 - Geometry: In Living Color


#15 - Alien Invasion


This weekend Yoga Life is hosting an Ashtanga workshop entitled "Recharge Your Practice" with Krista Shirley from Orlando, FL.  My Business Partner and I will be busy making sure things run smoothly, so you might not hear from me for a few days.  But I look forward to telling you all about it next week! :)

Question of the Day:

What do you do when you are lonely (or bored)?!  

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. These are SO Beautiful!!!! Love the intensity and combination of colors. What do I like to do when I'm bored? Hmmmm...can;t remember when I was last bored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom...you make me smile! :) And I know you - never NOT busy enough to be bored. I guess that could be a double-edged sword. Just remember, you are worthy of some "you time" and relaxation!

      Delete