April 6, 2012

Roasted Coco(nut) Oatmeal

Recently, I have been trying to stretch out the time between visits to the grocery store.  By using up everything that we have before purchasing anything more, I find that my cooking is more creative AND we save a few dollars.

Just this week, ten days after the last grocery shopping trip, the pantry was pretty bare-bones.  During those ten days I fed myself and my mom (for five of those days).  Although I was planning to head to the grocery store later in the morning, I still needed to eat a breakfast that would give me enough energy to teach, and grocery shop before lunch.  At the very least, I needed a good five-six hours worth of energy packed into my morning meal!  After scouring the pantry shelves, I realized I didn't have much; but I did have one tried and true ingredient.

Oatmeal to the rescue!

Hardly anyone likes plain oatmeal, and I am no exception.  I almost always add mix-ins into my morning oats.  Usually it is some combination of fruit and/or nut butter or jelly.  Unfortunately I was out of all three of those...and butter.  So, as usual, I had to get creative!

Creamy and smooth with the addition of the applesauce, this sweet and savory oatmeal will keep you full for up to six hours!  Don't skip the step that instructs you to roast the coconut and mixed nuts.  This oatmeal wouldn't be the same without its signature roasted flavor.


Roasted Coconut Oatmeal
Serves 1

1/2 C oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
1 1/2 C water
1/2 C applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1-2 T soy creamer (for garnish)
2 T shredded unsweetened coconut, roasted (for garnish)
2 T mixed nuts, chopped and roasted (for garnish)

Directions:

  • Preheat oven (or toaster oven, which is what I used) to 400 degrees.
  • Add oats, cinnamon, salt, water, applesauce, and vanilla extract into a medium saucepan.
  • Cook on medium for 8-10 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
  • Meanwhile, place the coconut and nuts on a packing sheet.
  • Roast for 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees, watching very carefully.  You want the coconut to brown, but NOT burn!
  • Pour oatmeal into a large bowl.
  • Add creamer on top, and stir to incorporate.
  • Top with coconut and nuts.
  • Enjoy immediately!



As I have mentioned in previous posts, roasting really does make everything better!  So many times we think of roasting savory foods (i.e. red bell peppers, broccoli, tofu, and root vegetables) that we forget that we can also roast sweet foods like coconut and fruit!

So the next time your pantry is running low, embrace the challenge!  Take a look at what you've got on hand, and get creative.  You will be surprised that you can make something delicious and filling!

Question of the Day:

Do you like coconut?  


I find that it is one of those "love it or hate it" ingredients.  As for me, I fall in the "love it" category, obviously! :)

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. I love coconut. I try to resist the urge to put it on everything! However, it was on my sliced banana and pears this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bo says I put coconut and cinnamon on everything...what's wrong with that?! Great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete