With that said, I always have a plethora of pantry/refrigerator items that could turn into a Southwestern feast at any time. Imagine this:
- it's 6:00PM on Saturday evening;
- your husband has just reminded you that you will be feeding an extra, hungry, male mouth this evening;
- you have been attending a physically demanding yoga workshop for the past two days, and are therefore exhausted; and
- you are already starving.
What would you do?
Well...I can't exactly answer that.
HOWEVER, I can tell you that that is exactly the scenario that I found myself in this past Saturday, and here is what I did:
Cool, crisp, crunchy, and delicious, this Mexican salad is both hearty and light - making it perfect for the warmer months. Open a few cans, chop a few vegetables, and dash in a few spices and WHA-LAA(!), a salad is born! If you love Southwestern food and/or salad, this recipe is for you!
Creamy Cool Mexican Salad
Serves 4-8 (4 as an entree, 8 as a sidedish)
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 jalapenos, minced
2 avocados, diced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained and rinsed
2 T lime juice
2 heaping T veganaise (or mayonnaise)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne (we used 1/2 because we like it HOT!)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
- Add the diced/minced tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapenos to a large salad bowl.
- Pour in the drained and rinsed beans and corn.
- In a small mixing bowl or a medium jar, mix/shake together the lime juice, veganaise, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture.
- Add the diced avocados on top.
- Toss to fully incorporate all ingredients.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to an hour (any more than an hour and the avocado will start to turn).
- Serve atop salad greens with rice, tortillas, or chips alongside!
With the help of a good friend, we devoured all but about 1/2 cup of this salad in a single sitting! The dressing was the perfect complement to the fresh and crunchy vegetables. Even before I was vegan, I wasn't much of a mayonnaise fan. However, this salad really needs the creaminess that it lends. Don't skip the mayo! As for the jalapenos, we like it HOT! If you don't want so much heat, just cut it down to one jalapeno (as opposed to two), and reduce the cayenne to 1/4 tsp. That should do it!
Next up on the ABC blog- all about my yogatastic weekend! I learned so much, and I can't wait to share it with you here on the blog, and with my students in the studio. I am a little sore (ok, I'll be honest, I'm a LOT sore), but every sore muscle is worth it. I had an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. time, and I feel more excited than ever about my yoga practice and my ability to share it with others!
Question of the Day:
Mild vs. Medium vs. Hot: how do you like your Mexican food?!
Ally and Bo