April 30, 2012

Recharging Your Practice

As I mentioned in my last post about coloring, Yoga Life Studio hosted a workshop this weekend entitled "Recharging Your Practice".  Krista Shirley, Owner of The Yoga Shala in Orlando, FL came to Jacksonville, FL to lead the workshop.


Krista Shirley is a dedicated student and practitioner of traditional Ashtanga yoga.  She travels to Mysore, India each year to spend time studying at the Krishna Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute (KPJAYI).  Krista humbly gives thanks to her teachers, Sharath Jois and Saraswathi Jois, for their guidance and love.  "It is a true honor to study with Sharath and Saraswathi so that my own practice and teachings may continue to grow on the right path under their tutelage."  Krista is a level 2 authorized Ashtanga teacher and founder of The Yoga Shala in Winter Park Florida where she teaches traditional Ashtanga classes in the Mysore method.

Over the course of the weekend, I was able to take some great - and yes I mean GREAT - pictures during the Mysore sessions (Just wait until you see the pics below.  Some of them are truly amazing!).

For those of you that don't know, the Mysore style of yoga practice is a particular way of teaching yoga within the Ashtanga tradition, as taught by Sri Krishna Pattabhi Jois in the southern Indian city of Mysore.  The main differences in this method are:

  • the class is not "led" as a whole, but rather all instruction is given one-on-one within a group class setting;
  • students practice their own portion of the Ashtanga sequence of asanas at their own pace; and
  • the teacher assists each student individually by giving physical adjustments and verbal instruction. (source)

Therefore, in the pictures below you will notice that students are practicing a variety of asanas simultaneously, and Krista travels the room offering individualized adjustments, modifications, and advice.

OK - Enough of my jibber jabber.  

Let's get to the photographs!

Just getting started!

Adho Muka Svanasana - Downward Facing Dog


Trikonasana - Triangle Pose

Parivritta Trikonasana - Revolved Triangle Pose


Parivritta Utthitta Parsokonasana - Revolved Side Angle Pose



Virabhadrasana I - Warrior I Pose

Virabhadrasana II - Warrior II Pose


"Lift the heart; lengthen the spine."



Janushirsasana - Head to Knee Pose


Stunning!




Urdhva Dhanurasana - Upward Facing Bow Pose (i.e. Wheel Pose)

Kurmasana - Toirtoise Pose (Mia in her little shell) :)

Holy core work!

Sarvangasana - Shoulderstand

Hmmm...not sure what to say other than WOWZA!

Everyone moving on their own.  Simply BEAUTIFUL.


Double WOWZA!

By the end of the morning the studio was filled with sweat and surely didn't smell like roses (hahaha!), but we all felt thoroughly worked, relaxed, and at peace.  Ahhhhh - yoga. :)

In case you were wondering, I WAS a part of the Mysore practice.  However, my main responsibility was to take pictures (thus the reason you don't see me at all).  Regardless, it was an amazing, inspiring, and invigorating practice that I won't forget for a long time to come!

I am SO. SO. SO. blessed to be a yoga teacher...

...living my dream life...

...serving everyone that I can.

Question of the Day:


Do you LOVE what you do for a living?!  If so, tell me ALL about it in the "Comments" section below!  


I love hearing from people that love their jobs as much as I do. :)

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment