August 13, 2012

"Cheesy" Bacon (or not) Squash Bake

Growing up, my family had a relatively large farm.  Every summer we planted and harvested:
  • green beans;
  • corn;
  • okra;
  • tomatoes;
  • butter beans;
  • cucumbers;
  • cantaloupe;
  • watermelon;
  • potatoes; and of course
  • SQUASH!

I was never a picky eater (and other than animal products, I'm still not), but I always particularly looked forward to eating the squash.  Don't get me wrong, green beans, butter beans, corn on the cob, and tomatoes were also some of my favorites.  But there was always something special about the crooked neck squash.


Maybe it was the fact that they were so much easier for me to pick.  

For instance, I remember that (much to my chagrin) my mom used to write me a list of chores for the day, and I would loathe seeing "pick green beans" or "pick corn" on there.  The green beans just took SO. MUCH. TIME. to pick, and I always ran across random raccoons or snakes in the corn fields.  But picking squash was easy.  The plants were spread out low on the ground, and the yellow color made it easy to spot ones that were ripe.  In short, squash made for easy pickin's!


Usually I whip up a simple squash and onion saute, but last night Bo was craving bacon and I didn't feel like standing over the stove for twenty minutes.  The result was a fast, easy, and delicious recipe for baked squash that was LOW in effort and BIG in flavor!
Notice, I didn't use bacon on my side of the dish (obviously), and I subbed nutritional yeast for the cheese.  The result was the best of both vegetarian and meat-eater worlds!


Before I share the recipe with you, I just want to address one thing.  A lot of people ask me if - even though I don't eat meat - I will cook it for Bo.  The answer is yes, and I'll tell you why.


Just because I feel very strongly about not eating meat, or for that matter, any animal product that is created in such a manner that is harmful to the animal, doesn't mean that I expect Bo (or anyone else) to follow suit.  His choices are HIS. CHOICES.  He knows my beliefs, and he respects them.  Perhaps most importantly, I neither have the ability nor the right to judge him for his choices.

Now, let's get to this recipe already!


"Cheesy" Bacon (or not) Squash Bake
Serves 2-4

2 small crooked neck squash, sliced into rounds
1 small yellow onion, sliced into half moons and pulled apart
2-3 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz. cheese (or 4T nutritional yeast)
1 1/2T EVOO

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  • Layer the squash round into the dish (see the picture at the top of this post for an illustration).
  • Sprinkle the onion pieces on top.
  • Generously season with salt and pepper.
  • Drizzle the squash/onion mixture with the EVOO.
  • If you aren't a vegan/vegetarian like me, add the bacon on top of the onions.
  • Bake for 35 minutes.
  • Remove from the oven and scatter the shredded cheese (or nutritional yeast) on top of the dish.
  • Return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese fully melts.
  • Serve immediately.


We enjoyed our squash bake alongside Rosemary, Lemon, and Olive Oil Cake, which - if you were wondering - was amazingly D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S.!

Question of the Day:

Do you like bacon?  (I know that I am a vegan/vegetarian now, but even when I still ate meat I didn't really like or crave bacon or sausage...just not my thing.)

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment