Sometimes being a good cook means being smart enough to NOT reinvent the recipe wheel. Case in point:
Last night's dinner was full of inspiration from my fellow bloggers! Since blueberries were on sale this week, I bought three containers of them. Unfortunately, there are only so many raw blueberries I can toss into my mouth, on top of cereal, or onto oatmeal, before they start going bad. I thought I remembered seeing a unique use for summer's blue beauties over on Katie's blog; and thankfully I was right!
Specifically, the inspiration for the:
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce came from Chocolate Covered Katie; and
- Creamy Polenta and Broiled tofu came from Ashley over at Edible Perspective.
Overall, I drew heavily from the amazing recipes that Katie and Ashley had already created. I simply added a few twists here and there to put my spin on each component of the dish. The result was spectacular!
For the Blueberry Barbecue Sauce I:
- substituted the red wine vinegar for a scant 1/4C of apple cider vinegar;
- cut the powdered ginger in half (to 1/4 tsp); and
- added three packets of stevia (instead of two...my blueberries weren't super sweet).
For the Creamy Polenta and Broiled Tofu I:
- added 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2T Smart Balance to the polenta; and
- broiled the tofu on high for 15 minutes, flipped them over, and broiled them for an additional 10 minutes.
The result was ultra-creamy and flavorful polenta with perfectly crisp and textured tofu. Hm...hmmm...good!
If you are skeptical of tofu, I would strongly recommend broiling it. The result is a texture that is very similar to chicken. The edges get a little crisp and - for lack of a better word - substantial, while the insides remain moist and chewy. Even Bo likes it!
If I do say so myself, the afternoon natural light really did wonders for these photos. The Blueberry Barbecue Sauce, in particular, looks shiny and delicious; and trust me, IT WAS!
Question of the Day:
Have you ever cooked with (or eaten) fruit in a nontraditional way?! If so, I would love to hear about it in the "Comment" section below!
Ally and Bo