August 10, 2012

Blueberry Barbecue Sauce with Creamy Polenta and Broiled Tofu

Sometimes being a good cook means being smart enough to NOT reinvent the recipe wheel.  Case in point:


Last night's dinner was full of inspiration from my fellow bloggers!  Since blueberries were on sale this week, I bought three containers of them.  Unfortunately, there are only so many raw blueberries I can toss into my mouth, on top of cereal, or onto oatmeal, before they start going bad.  I thought I remembered seeing a unique use for summer's blue beauties over on Katie's blog; and thankfully I was right!

Specifically, the inspiration for the:

Overall, I drew heavily from the amazing recipes that Katie and Ashley had already created.  I simply added a few twists here and there to put my spin on each component of the dish.  The result was spectacular!


For the Blueberry Barbecue Sauce I:
  • substituted the red wine vinegar for a scant 1/4C of apple cider vinegar;
  • cut the powdered ginger in half (to 1/4 tsp); and
  • added three packets of stevia (instead of two...my blueberries weren't super sweet).

  • added 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and 2T Smart Balance to the polenta; and
  • broiled the tofu on high for 15 minutes, flipped them over, and broiled them for an additional 10 minutes.

The result was ultra-creamy and flavorful polenta with perfectly crisp and textured tofu.  Hm...hmmm...good!


If you are skeptical of tofu, I would strongly recommend broiling it.  The result is a texture that is very similar to chicken.  The edges get a little crisp and - for lack of a better word - substantial, while the insides remain moist and chewy.  Even Bo likes it!


If I do say so myself, the afternoon natural light really did wonders for these photos.  The Blueberry Barbecue Sauce, in particular, looks shiny and delicious; and trust me, IT WAS!

Question of the Day:

Have you ever cooked with (or eaten) fruit in a nontraditional way?!  If so, I would love to hear about it in the "Comment" section below!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, what a great idea! I've wanted to try Katie's blueberry BBQ sauce for a while, I don't know why I never did! Seeing it again makes me want to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was SOOO good Katie! You should totally give it a shot...I was skeptical, but it was a huge hit with both me and my hubby!

      Delete