August 23, 2012

Deluxe Banana Split Soft-Serve

Last night I was craving - of all things - a banana split from Dairy Queen.  I don't know about you, but I have wonderful memories of heading to Dairy Queen after school, or on the weekends, or with my mom, for a special ice cream treat.  Sometimes I ordered a Chocolate Dip Cone, other times I ordered a Peanut Buster Parfait (come on...you know you remember it!), every once in a while I would order an Oreo Blizzard; but undoubtedly - at least eight times out of ten - I ordered a Banana Split!  There was just something about the combination of vanilla soft-serve, strawberries, cherries, peanuts, and chocolate syrup that made my taste buds go crazy!

And although Bo and I didn't head out to a Dairy Queen last night, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I got my banana split fix!


To start, I used my recipe for Homemade Peach Compote to create a delicious - but healthy - strawberry sauce.  I honestly think that I could have eaten this straight out of the jar with a spoon and been pretty happy!


Then the real work fun began!  I:
  • whipped together a decadent chocolate sauce;
  • chopped some salted peanuts; and
  • got out all of the ingredients for my favorite Secret Ingredient Soft-Serve.  

After preparing all of the separate components of the Banana Split, it was time to assemble my delectable masterpiece.

Seriously...doesn't that look SO good?!


Deluxe Banana Split Soft-Serve
Serves 2

For the Strawberry Compote:
15 strawberries, diced
1/2T cornstarch
2 packets stevia
2T maple syrup
2T water

For the Chocolate Syrup:
2T dark chocolate chips
1/2tsp coconut oil

For the Banana Soft-Serve:
2 frozen bananas
2T almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For Garnish:
salted peanuts, chopped
maraschino cherry, optional

Directions:
  • For the Strawberry Compote: Toss the diced strawberries with the cornstarch to coat.  Place the strawberries, stevia, maple syrup, and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking at a low boil for 5 minutes.  Use a potato masher to mash the strawberries (until a jam-like consistency is formed).  Pour into a small jar and refrigerate until cooled and set.
  • For the Chocolate Syrup: Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl.  Heat - in 30 second increments - in the microwave until fully melted and incorporated.  Keep warm until ready to serve.
  • For the Banana Soft-Serve: Place the frozen banana chunks in your food processor; process for 1-2 minutes until bananas are broken up and beginning to smooth out.  Add the almond milk and vanilla extract and process until smooth.
  • Next, spoon 2-4T (depending upon taste and preference) of the Strawberry Compote into the food processor with the Banana Soft-Serve.  Pulse a couple of times until the compote is swirled into the soft-serve.
    • Note: At this point - depending upon whether or not your soft-serve is beginning to get too soft - you may need to freeze it for 5-10 minutes to re-harden.
  • Pour the soft-serve into small bowls, drizzle the chocolate syrup on top, and garnish with the chopped peanuts and cherry.
  • Enjoy IMMEDIATELY as the soft-serve will melt quickly!


I was even nice enough to make one for Bo too!  

Go ahead - admit it - I have that "Wife of the Year" award in the bag. ;)

Question of the Day:

Do you like traditional banana splits?  If not, what is your favorite ice cream treat?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment