And although Bo and I didn't head out to a Dairy Queen last night, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I got my banana split fix!
To start, I used my recipe for Homemade Peach Compote to create a delicious - but healthy - strawberry sauce. I honestly think that I could have eaten this straight out of the jar with a spoon and been pretty happy!
Then the real
- whipped together a decadent chocolate sauce;
- chopped some salted peanuts; and
- got out all of the ingredients for my favorite Secret Ingredient Soft-Serve.
After preparing all of the separate components of the Banana Split, it was time to assemble my delectable masterpiece.
Seriously...doesn't that look SO good?!
Deluxe Banana Split Soft-Serve
For the Strawberry Compote:
15 strawberries, diced
2 packets stevia
2T maple syrup
For the Chocolate Syrup:
2T dark chocolate chips
1/2tsp coconut oil
For the Banana Soft-Serve:
2 frozen bananas
2T almond milk (or milk of choice)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
salted peanuts, chopped
maraschino cherry, optional
- For the Strawberry Compote: Toss the diced strawberries with the cornstarch to coat. Place the strawberries, stevia, maple syrup, and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; continue cooking at a low boil for 5 minutes. Use a potato masher to mash the strawberries (until a jam-like consistency is formed). Pour into a small jar and refrigerate until cooled and set.
- For the Chocolate Syrup: Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small bowl. Heat - in 30 second increments - in the microwave until fully melted and incorporated. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- For the Banana Soft-Serve: Place the frozen banana chunks in your food processor; process for 1-2 minutes until bananas are broken up and beginning to smooth out. Add the almond milk and vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- Next, spoon 2-4T (depending upon taste and preference) of the Strawberry Compote into the food processor with the Banana Soft-Serve. Pulse a couple of times until the compote is swirled into the soft-serve.
- Note: At this point - depending upon whether or not your soft-serve is beginning to get too soft - you may need to freeze it for 5-10 minutes to re-harden.
- Pour the soft-serve into small bowls, drizzle the chocolate syrup on top, and garnish with the chopped peanuts and cherry.
- Enjoy IMMEDIATELY as the soft-serve will melt quickly!
I was even nice enough to make one for Bo too!
Go ahead - admit it - I have that "Wife of the Year" award in the bag. ;)
Question of the Day:
Do you like traditional banana splits? If not, what is your favorite ice cream treat?!
Ally and Bo