August 27, 2012

Cinnamon Almond French Toast

Believe it or not, this morning I didn't eat oatmeal (hard to believe, I know!).  Instead, I treated myself to this:


If you couldn't tell from my admittedly poor quality photos, this is french toast.  Due to Hurricane Isaac, we woke up to an exceptionally dark and stormy morning.  Rain, wind, and clouds don't exactly make for a ton of natural light for my food photography.  You'll just have to forgive me, and take my word for the incredible yumminess that filled my belly!

French toast = YUMM-O!

I decided to flavor this french toast with almond extract because I had a jar of almond butter that needed to be eaten up and I figured that they would pair well together.  However, if you prefer, you can used vanilla extract and peanut butter instead, or cashew butter, or pecan butter...you get the point.  This recipe is easily modified to whatever you have lying around.

One thing I wouldn't change about this recipe, however, is the ratio of egg-to-milk in the batter.  If you use any more milk, it just makes the bread soggy...which will not result in a YUMM-O breakfast.  

Truth me on that one.


Cinnamon Almond French Toast
Serves 1

1 piece bread of choice (I used whole wheat)
1 egg white
3 1/2T almond milk
pinch of cinnamon
1/16 tsp almond extract
1-2 drops butter extract
1 very ripe banana, cut in half - and then in half again - lengthwise
1T almond butter
maple syrup, for garnish

Directions:
  • Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
  • Whisk together the egg, 2T almond milk, cinnamon, almond extract, and butter extract.
  • Dip the bread into the egg mixture and thoroughly coat each side.
  • Place the bread onto the preheated, non-stick skillet.
  • Cook for 2-3 minutes until browned on one side.
  • Flip over.
  • Add the banana to the skillet along with the toast, and cook until seared and softened.
  • Meanwhile, microwave the almond butter and 1 1/2T almond milk for 30 seconds, and then whisk together until fully incorporated.
  • Once cooked on both sides, remove the toast and banana and place on a small plate.
  • Smear the toast with the almond butter spread.
  • Top with the banana and a drizzle of maple syrup.
  • Serve warm. :)


This french toast is SO GOOD that Bo and I have both had it for three mornings in a row; and you know that anything that can keep me away from my morning oatmeal for that long must be good!


So what are you waiting for?  
Why not treat yourself to some french toast tomorrow morning?!

You deserve it.

Question of the Day:

What is your favorite "special occasion" breakfast item?  Pancakes?  Eggs benedict?  A waffle?  Scone and clotted cream?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment