May 24, 2012

Confetti Corn Salad

Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems to me that every week, around Thursday, the same things happens:

  1. we have two more days until we re-stock at the grocery store;
  2. the pantry and refrigerator are practically bare;
  3. it is meal time; and
  4. Bo and I are starving.
Much of the time I end up eating rice cake sandwiches, cereal for lunch/dinner, or steamed rice with some sort of canned something-or-other on these occasions.  

Well, not today!  

When I looked at the rice cakes, cereal, and dried grains, my stomach answered with an unhappy grumble.  Nope.  None of those foods were going to work this go 'round.  I was going to have to do better, MUCH BETTER in fact.  So, I started looking for foods with color.  As most of you know: 

COLOR = NUTRITION

Come on, haven't you ever heard your nutritionist or doctor tell you to "eat the rainbow" at every meal, or to "have at least three colors represented on your plate"?  I know I'm not making this up.  Surely you have hard about this?!  No?!  Well then, today's the day that that changes, because today, in this recipe, you are going to "eat the rainbow" whether you like it or not!  So there.


Easily thrown together in less than ten minutes, Confetti Corn Salad would be the perfect accompaniment to a summer barbecue or potluck (Can you say "Hello!" to Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day?!).  Perfect for those days when the thermometer tops 90 degrees, this salad is light, refreshing, and full of crunch!

Confetti Corn Salad
Serves 4

1 can corn, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 1/2 tsp limejuice
2 T ranch dressings of choice
salt and pepper

Directions:

  • Using either a clean kitchen towel or several paper towels, pat dry the corn, tomatoes, and kidney beans.
  • Pour the vegetables into a large salad bowl; and add the onion, carrots, and celery.
  • Whisk together the limejuice and ranch dressings.
  • Pour over the vegetables.
  • Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
  • Toss to incorporate.
  • Chill for a minimum of 30 minutes.
  • Serve chilled.


Up next - Yesterday I told you that I had a can of Lucky Leaf's Sugar-Free Apple Pie Filling in my pantry, and I warned you that another variation of "pie oats" might be coming your way.

Well, tomorrow's the day! 

Make sure to stop by for this healthy and delicious dessert-for-breakfast recipe!  If you like apple pie AT. ALL., you won't want to miss tomorrow's post. :)

P.S.  Check out more of the ABC blog's salad recipes here!

Question of the Day:


Do you like corn?  If so, how do you prefer it (i.e. Straight off the cob? Creamed? In corn cakes? In salads? etc.)?

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good....Looks even better!.I think I'll try it this weekend to go along with 'Mike's Wings'. Do you think he'll try it? Ha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T PUT TOMATOES IN IT (if you want Mike to eat it, that is)! Otherwise, I can't think of any of the ingredients he doesn't like...unless he simply doesn't like them all mixed together like that. With a man like Mike, who knows if he will like it or not?! Just make it the way YOU like it! :)

      Delete