May 27, 2012

A Saturday Without Pictures

Yesterday Bo and I took full advantage of the "holiday" status of our long weekend.  Since tropical storms are predicted for today and Monday (apparently Beryl is headed our way), we figured that we better make the most of our Saturday together.  Although I did teach one yoga class in the morning, I was done by noon and had the rest of the day to dedicate to family.

Since Lola has finished receiving all of her shots, she is eligible to visit the local dog parks.  With it being her first visit to any sort of public park with other dogs around, Bo and I figured that it would be best to wait until we could go together.  So yesterday, around 2:00PM, Bo, Lola, and I piled into the Subaru and headed to(!):


Unfortunately, I forgot my camera.
I don't have any pictures from Lola's first day at the dog park.
I don't have any pictures of her first experience swimming.  
I'm a bad puppy mommy, and I know it.  
Total bummer.  
Oh well.

Poochies is just a little over four miles from our house, and came recommended by our veterinarian.  When we arrived, there were about half a dozen other dogs around, and Lola was more than ready to jump right in!  She seemed to get along with most of the dogs, even though she was clearly the smallest dog there.  What Bo and I discovered is that Lola is very reactive to the temperament and behavior of other dogs.  For instance, here are a few examples of Lola's reactions to other dogs at Poochies:

  • Amped-Up: Lucky is an adolescent Golden Labrador that was rescued by an older gentleman one day before he was euthanized.  He is very playful - sometimes to the point of antagonization - and quite hyper.  In response, Lola played right along, becoming a bit atangonizing to Lucky (i.e. jumping in his face, playful biting, etc.), and getting a little more amped up than Bo and I like.

After a few minutes, Bo and I separated Lola and Lucky by taking her to the other side of the lake.

  • Cool, Calm, and Collected: Bo is a 5 year-old Golden Labrador.  He is calm, playful, and respectful.  He is well trained, quickly responds to his owner, and loves to swim!  In response, Lola and Bo played great together.  She stayed calm, immediately responded to Bo and I's commands, and got over her fear of the water by following Bo and jumping right in after the toys!  I can't believe our little girl knows how to swim...she was a natural!

We let Lola play with Bo until he went home.  They were great play buddies!


  • NOT Friends: Lola only had one somewhat scary run-in with another dog.  Although we didn't catch his name, Lola was sniffing a new dog to the park when he lunged at her, started trying to bite her, and pinned her on her back in the sand.  Needless to say I immediately started yelling to Bo to pick Lola up and GET. HER. OUT. of that situation!  After a few scratches of his own, Bo picked Lola up, immediately put her on her leash, and moved to the other side of the lake.  This particular dog also had a few run-ins with other dogs...he doesn't seem to play well with others.  Lola, on the other hand, seemed totally confused by what happened.  She looked at me as if she were saying, "Mom, I was just smelling him!"

There were several other dogs with which Lola built a rapports, but they all seemed to fall into one of the aforementioned categories.  In the end, the most valuable things that Bo and I learned is to choose your friends wisely...even if they are puppy friends.  After all, friends set an example, even for Lola.

After an hour and a half, we were all three tired, incredibly dirty, and ready to come home.  First things first, we gave Lola a bath, and then Bo and I got spruced up for a night out on the town to celebrate our first anniversary (a couple of days early since most restaurants are closed on Monday, Memorial Day - our actual anniversary).  Bo kept his plans a secret, so I was pleasantly surprised when we pulled up to Orsay in Avondale, FL.  I didn't quite know what to expect, but the swanky and modern restaurant looked as if it were bound to please both the palate and the senses.


And man oh man was I right!




Can you believe it?!
I left my camera at home AGAIN.  
ARGH!
Enough said.


Upon being seated in our corner two-person table, we were immediately greeted by our exceptional server and two glasses of champagne (on the house, mind you)!  From then on, everything was perfection from:

  • our appetizer featuring local farmer's produce, to;
  • Bo's Cucumber Jalapeno martini, to;
  • my Hey Jealousy martini, to;
  • our shared salad with Champagne Vinaigrette, to;
  • Bo's succulent pork chop entree and my vegan Bouillabase, to;
  • my trio of sorbets and Bo's blueberry shortcake; and
  • the perfect cup of decaf coffee.

Everything was truly exceptional.  
The food.  
The drinks.  
The ambiance.  
The service.  
The priceless time with my husband.

I could not have asked for a more perfect anniversary...and I haven't even gotten my gift yet (Bo says I have to wait until Monday for that...hehehe)!



Next time - This particular book left me dumbfounded and speechless.  I hope that tomorrow's book review will encourage you to head to your nearest bookstore, or library, and snatch it up!  It's a great book for readers of all ages, particularly those that would like to take a closer look at the blessings and faults of our human nature.

Question of the Day:


How do you like to celebrate your anniversary (i.e. With a trip? Gift-giving? Sports event? Concert? Gourmet meal?)?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment