May 25, 2012

Apple Pie Oats

After eating a bowl of Cherry Pie Oats two mornings ago, I couldn't get the idea of "pie oats" out of my head.  They were simply too delicious to be forgotten.  Thankfully, I had another stray can of pie filling in my pantry, so I didn't have to wait too long to fulfill my culinary fantasies of dessert for breakfast.  This time, however, I had apple pie filling.

In my mind, apple pie is quintessentially American.  When someone mentions apple pie, I immediately envision grandmothers in the kitchen, star spangled banners, and summer parties abounding with friends and family.  Therefore, I found this breakfast to be particularly apropos considering it is the Friday before Memorial Day weekend, and the unofficial kick-off to the summer season!


Forget the label "breakfast", this bowl of oats is like having a steaming pile of sweet, delicious apple pie first thing in the morning!  Let's be honest, doesn't practically everyone love good ol' fashioned apple pie?!  Well this breakfast is just like that, except it is perfectly acceptable for you to gorge yourself at 7:00 in the morning.  Enough said.


Apple Pie Oats
Serves 1

1/2 C oats
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp apple pie spice
1 1/2 C water
1/2 tsp butter extract (or 1T butter)
1 C Lucky Leaf's Sugar Free Apple Pie Filling

Directions:
  • Add the oats, salt, and apple pie spice to a medium saucepan.
  • Pour in the water and butter extract.
  • Boil; and immediately reduce to heat to low.
  • Simmer for 7-10 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken.
  • Remove from heat; and pour into a large bowl.
  • Stir in the apple pie filling.
  • Serve immediately!

Next time - Saturday adventures with Lola and - assuming the weather cooperates - her first doggy park!  Water will be around, so I hope to get some great pictures of her frolicking in the doggy lake. ;)

Question of the Day:


Can you make pie from scratch?! 


I feel like generations past knew how to make practically everything from scratch, whereas nowadays we rush to the store to pick up pre-made whatever.  To be honest, I have never made a pie crust from scratch...maybe I should change that...

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment