- green chile;
- frozen corn;
- a red bell pepper; and
- Daiya cheese.
Visions of the party-favorite 7-layer dip immediately came to mind. By my count, I had no where near enough ingredients for seven layers...but an idea had been born, so I rolled with it!
This is a Mexican-style casserole with a little kick! If you like heat, go ahead and use "hot" salsa and "hot" green chile. The final result is creamy, hearty, and as Bo says, "fills you up right!"
3-Layer Mexican Casserole
For the Rice Layer:
1 C brown rice
1 3/4 C water
1/2 C salsa (preferably HOT!)
For the Vegetable Layer:
1 C corn
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
For the Bean Layer:
1 can refried beans
1 4 oz. can of hot green chile
1/2-3/4 C Daiya cheese (or other cheese)
- Place the rice and water in a medium saucepan.
- Boil, reduce to simmer, and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the refried beans and green chile in a small saucepan over low heat.
- In a separate pan, saute the corn, bell pepper, salt, pepper, and cumin over medium heat. Continue cooking until the corn and bell pepper begin to soften and brown slightly.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix in the salsa.
- Now you are ready to layer your casserole in a medium/large oiled dish:
- Place all of the salsa rice in the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with the vegetable mixture.
- Spread the bean mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7-12 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Recently, I've been trying to learn more about my camera. I have been taking it off of "automatic" mode in an effort to take more professional pictures for the blog. However, a lot of the recipes I end up putting on the blog are cooked in the evening. Therefore, by the time I need to take pictures, the sun has gone down and I am left without any natural light (which, I have read, is best for quality photography). Last night I took several with the flash, and several without...but I can't decide which one looks better. What do you think? (just leave a comment in the "Comments" section below).
|With the flash...|
|Without the flash...|
Bo ate his casserole with roasted chicken. Believe it or not, every bit of this plate was devoured, and later on in the evening he went back for seconds of the casserole. Today, he asked me if there was any left for lunch...if you ask me, I think he kinda likes this one! :)
|FYI - This picture is without the flash.|
Next time - I promise you that oatmeal recipe that will keep you full for hours! And this time, I mean it!
Question of the Day:
What's your favorite throw-together meal? Or, like most people, do you just get take-out on nights when the refrigerator/pantry are low?!
Ally and Bo