February 3, 2012

"Cheesy" Hummus and a Recipe Redo

Since this will be my fourth hummus recipe to post on the blog, you probably think all we eat in the Behne household is different variations of this savory dip.  For example:

  1. it all started with Avocado Hummus;
  2. then I made Roasted Red Pepper and Cilantro Hummus;
  3. most recently I prepared Salsa Hummus; and
  4. today I am sharing the recipe for "Cheesy" Hummus.
Wait!  You might be asking, "Vegans don't eat cheese, do they?"

Well, no, not exactly.  However, we do eat nutritional yeast, which has a cheese-like flavor, and there are a number of cheese substitutes out there now-a-days.  Don't get me wrong, many of these substitutes are disgusting and taste like rubber (seriously gross...trust me, I've tried practically all of them), but there are a small few that actually taste good.  One such brand is Daiya.  I have only tried the shredded versions, but both the cheddar and mozzarella flavors melt, don't leave an aftertaste or film in your mouth, and are actually pretty tastey.  Bo will even eat some...in a pinch.  See?!

Leftover ground turkey and "Cheesy" Hummus...yummm?!

Smooth, a little salty, with a hint of cheese flavor, this hummus is great for spreading on sandwiches, as a dip for crudites, or, and Bo prefers, mixed into ground meat!

"Cheesy" Hummus
Serves 8-10

1 can Great Northern beans, drained but not rinsed
2 T oil (I used vegetable because it was all I had on hand)
2 T water
2 T tahini
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 T Daiya shredded cheese
3 T nutritional yeast

Directions:

  • Add all ingredients in your food processor.
  • Whirl for approximately two minutes, or until all ingredients are incorporated.


I also recently discovered that I had one can of pumpkin left!  Who-hoo!  So what did I do?!  I quickly got to re-inventing my favorite Pumpkin Spice Pudding.  This time I:

  • added 1/2 T molasses;
  • drizzled in 1 T maple syrup; and
  • served it with raisins, shredded coconut, and Uncle Sam's cereal.
Hm...hmmmm...good!  Perfect for breakfast, as a midday snack, or as dessert!


Okay, I'm off to teach!  When I get home, maybe I'll eat some of my favorite food: hummus! hehehe...just kidding...maybe...


Question of the Day:

What is a food that you ALWAYS have in your refrigerator/pantry?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. I actually bought two dark chocolate bars at the grocery store today and thought of you: (1) 85% dark chocolate with crystallized ginger, and (2) 88% dark chocolate with cherries and almonds. I can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete