With that being said, it isn't uncommon for these blogs to serve as my inspiration for recipes, outfits, and home decor on a regular basis. In fact, the dressing for today's Creamy Energy Power Salad is borrowed from Angela Liddon of Oh She Glows. Angela is one creative cat in the kitchen! She comes up with so many delicious and healthy recipes that have me drooling every time. When I saw this Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing, I knew right away that I had to come up with an original way to use it!
For me, avocados frequently = Mexican cuisine. Blame it on living in New Mexico for so many years, but you say "avocado" and I think salsa and chips, enchiladas, green chile, refried beans, chile rellenos, and quesadillas! Since we didn't have any tortillas at the time, I decided to use what we had on-hand to create this protein-packed and energy-filled salad. Trust me, it didn't disappoint!
Full of healthy fats and protein-rich beans, this salad will keep you energized and mentally sharp for hours! With the perfect balance of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, protein, and fat, this salad is a champion of health and nutrition.
Creamy Energy Power Salad
1/2 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 can hominy, rinsed
2 tomatoes, diced
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 red bell pepper, sliced and roasted
1 tsp EVOO
1/2 C rice, cooked and chilled
2-3 handfuls of Spring Salad Mix
1/4 C Creamy Avocado Lime Dressing from Oh She Glows
- Cook the rice on the stove-top (i.e. 1/2 C rice + 1 C H2O + 20 minutes on the stove-top = perfectly fluffy rice!)
- Place the black beans, hominy, tomatoes, chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper into a medium mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
- While the bean/hominy mixture is marinating, slice your bell pepper, toss it in olive oil, and roast at 450 degrees for 5-10 minutes.
- Note: You will want the bell pepper to blacken around the edges, but you do not want it to burn. Watch it closely for the last couple of minutes in the oven! They should end up looking something like the picture below.
- Add the rice, bean/hominy mixture, and bell pepper into a large salad bowl with the Spring Salad Mix.
- Toss gently.
- Begin by pouring 1/8 C dressing onto the salad and incorporate fully.
- Add more, up to 1/4 C, until you have reached your desired coating.
- Due to the avocado, this salad is best served immediately.
- Note: Leftovers of this salad will not be very good. Therefore, I would suggest either halving the recipe or eating it all in a single day.
Next time - I will share the beginnings of a new fashion/style project. Maybe some of you will even be inspired to join me!!!
Question of the Day:
If you need lots of energy for the day, what is your go-to meal?!
Ally and Bo