January 18, 2012

Balsamic Butter Cabbage

Lightening speed!
(That's how quickly I am typing up today's post.)

Today is quite the busy day:  I taught yoga from 6:00-7:00 a.m., I went to the gym to walk on the treadmill from 7:30-8:20 a.m., I had coffee with my girlfriends from 9:00-10:45 a.m., I am eating lunch and writing this post from 11:00-12:00, I am going to a yoga class from 12:30-1:45, and I have six people (a total of 8 1/2, counting Everett) coming over to the house for a "See You Soon" party for the Lee's.  Oh, and Bo and I are waking up at 4:30 a.m. tomorrow to make the 15-hour drive to Alabama for my cousin's wedding this weekend.  WHEW...I'm only half way through the day and I'm a little tired!

Okay, let's focus on the task at hand: cabbage.  Yes, this post is about cabbage.  Growing up I thought everyone loved cabbage...after all, my mom cooked cabbage and onions at least twice a month in our household.  I grew up loving the stuff!  But come to find out, cabbage is on a lot of people's gross list.  Well, with any luck, today's recipe might change that!


Sweet, salty, and creamy cabbage with a bit of an Asian flair.  This side dish has the power to change even the staunchest critics opinion of this pauper's vegetable.

Balsamic Butter Cabbage
Serves 4-6

3/4 small head of cabbage, chopped finely
1 large onion, diced
4 T butter, divided in half
~3 T balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper

Directions:

  • Melt 2 T butter in a large saucepan.
  • Add the diced onion, and cook on medium low until beginning to caramelize (6-8 minutes).


  • Add the chopped cabbage, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1 T butter to the pan.
  • Cover and allow to cook down for 3-4 minutes.


  • Remove saucepan lid. 
  • Add the final 1 T butter and ~3 T balsamic vinegar to the cabbage/onion mixture.
    • Note:  The balsamic vinegar amount is a rough estimate.  I circled the pan four times while allowing the vinegar to drizzle out from the dispenser.  In large part, the amount of vinegar you use will depend upon your preference.  I think 3 T is a good place to start, and you can add additional vinegar if you would like.
  • Serve immediately. 
    • Pictured below is Bo's dinner plate.  The Balsamic Butter Cabbage was accompanied by Italian-seasoned ground turkey as well as millet cooked in vegetable broth.


Bo and I are off to Alabama tomorrow for my cousin's big day!  I will share a wedding post with you sometime early next week!


Question of the Day:

Do you like cabbage?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment