June 20, 2012

Honey Dijon Potato Salad

I LOVE potato salad.  

Don't get me wrong, I love a potato just about any way you want to cook it, - baked, shredded, diced, fried, in a casserole, in soup, au gratin, etc. - but something about potato salad just says "summer" to me.  I grew up eating it at summer picnics, and something about the dish makes me daydream about picnic tables, backyard fires, and old friends and family (all the things that you should think about when it comes to the summer months, in my opinion).

The only problem is, I don't really like mayonnaise.

Truth be told...

...I actually hate the stuff.

I know that some of you are freaking out right now wondering how on Earth anyone could dislike mayonnaise, but what can I say?  I have tried the stuff time and time again, and time and time again it disappoints me, leaving me slightly disgusted and skeptical of the man-made slimy mixture.

I mean, I will eat the stuff on occasion - if I simply can't get around it - but never do I crave it.  Usually I avoid it.  Call it blasphemy if you must, but I prefer my potato salad sans the bottled white goo.  Instead, I like my potato salad with a kick of mustard, and in today's case, balanced out by the perfect sweetness of nature's sticky gift: honey.


Honey Dijon Potato Salad
Serves 6

2 stalks of celery, diced
2 large carrots, shredded
2 large Russet potatoes, diced and boiled until tender
1/2 red onion, diced
1 apple, diced
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1T (heaping) Dijon mustard
1T (heaping) honey
1T EVOO
1/2T apple cider vinegar

Directions:
  • Add the celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, and apple to a large salad bowl.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • In a small jar or shallow bowl, shake/whisk together the Dijon mustard, honey, EVOO, and apple cider vinegar.
  • Pour the dressings over the potato salad.
  • Serve warm or cold, depending upon your preference.

Think what you will about mayonnaise - I'll not judge - but give this recipe a shot!  I would be willing to bet that you won't be disappointed; AND, if you make this recipe for your upcoming July 4th celebrations, I bet your friends and family will love it too!

Next time - a FABULOUS book review!  The book in question will encourage you to contemplate hurt, family, personal responsibility, and vulnerability in a whole. new. way.  

Trust me, WILL want to know more about this book!

Question of the Day:


How do you like to make (and eat) your potato salad?  I feel like potato salad is one of those recipes where everyone has their own "family recipe" and secret ingredient or two.  What's yours?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment