June 30, 2012

Honey Balsamic Carrots

I can only think of three vegetables that are suitable to eat from a can:
  1. peas; 
  2. corn; and
  3. beans.
(Tomatoes are a fruit, so they don't count in this case).  

Canned vegetables such as beets, asparagus, and carrots give their fresh counterparts a bad name.  As a result of the canning process, beets get mushy, asparagus gets slimy, and carrots just get down-right-disgusting.  Having done no official academic research on the subject, I have decided that canned carrots are the #1 reason why so many people adamantly affirm their dislike of cooked carrots.

Well, wait no longer...I have a solution and it is called Honey Balsamic Carrots.  If you are a cooked-carrot-skeptic then this recipe is for you!  After roasting these bad boys for just under thirty minutes they are sweet, caramel-y, crispy around the edges, and perfectly delicate on the inside.  Honestly, what more could you ask from a carrot?!

Honey Balsamic Carrots
Serves 2

1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
1 1/2T honey
1 1/2T balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Place the peeled and chopped carrots into a small mixing bowl.
  • Drizzle the honey and balsamic vinegar over the carrots.
  • Toss.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Toss.
  • Pour onto a well-oiled baking sheet.
  • Roast for 20 minutes.
  • Flip.
  • Roast for 15 minutes.
  • Serve immediately.


I'm off to my first book-club meeting at the local library (who-hoo!).  Have a gorgeous Saturday, and if you are in one of the 25+ states with over 100 degree weather this weekend, stay cool (I hear that movie theaters and malls are great places to go for free air conditioning hehehe)!

Next time - we just bought one of our first BIG adult purchases!  In the next post I'll tell you all about it, and how we came to our decision!

Question of the Day:


Do you like cooked carrots?  I know several people in my family alone that will eat carrots raw, but not cooked.  A little strange, if you ask me; but whatever floats your boat!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

2 comments:

  1. Mmm I love cooked carrots. I like steaming them then adding honey, cinnamon, Earth Balance and salt before eating. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to try steaming them next time. How long do you steam them (i.e. I don't want them to get mushy)?

      Delete