November 29, 2011

3-Ingredient Kale Chips

What's green, krinkly around the edges, and yummy both raw and baked?

Wait a minute...

...I know the answer to this one...

...give me a minute...

...I know!  I've got it!

Why it's KALE, of course!


(Maybe I should change the name of the blog from ABC to "I. love. kale.")

Seriously, though, I do truly love kale.  As I mention in the ABC About page, I love gargantuan salads!  I eat at least one a day...sometimes more (it may be a problem...hahaha!).  But I will be the first one to admit that I get tired of the same ol' romaine or spinach salad.  It just gets boring after a while.

Enter kale.

I didn't really grow up eating much kale, but as I have become more conscious of the food I put into my body, I have really grown to love the sturdy, earthy, slightly bitter green.  It appears in my salads pretty frequently these days.  Among its numerous benefits:

  • kale provides cholesterol-lowering benefits when it is steamed;
  • kale lowers the risk of getting at least five different types of cancer including bladder, breast, colon, ovary, and prostate;
  • kale provides comprehensive support for the body's detoxification system. New research has shown that the ITCs made from kale's glucosinolates can help regulate detox at a genetic level; and
  • kale's flavonoids combine both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits in a way that gives kale a leading dietary role with respect to avoidance of chronic inflammation and oxidative stress. (source)

Talk about a SUPER FOOD!

So what's the point of all this scientific nutrition talk?  You just want a recipe, right?!  (OK, OK, I get it!  I'll get right to it.)

Well, today I am presenting you with one of the simplest recipe EVER.

While I was at the ashram for my yoga teacher training, they used to serve these kale chips/salad at least twice a week.  Once I got home, I tried to recreate the recipe in my own kitchen, and I must say, these three ingredients definitely hit the mark and result in a wonderful combination of flavors!

You can eat these kale chips on their own.  Or, you can use these kale chips as the base for a salad.  I have done both with great success!


3-Ingredient Ashram Kale Chips
(I consider salt and pepper to be freebie ingredients)
Serves 2-4

1 bunch kale
1/8-1/4 C EVOO (or walnut oil for a nutty twist!)
1/4 C nutritional yeast
1/2-1 tsp Herbamare (or salt), to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, optional

Directions:

  1. Rinse kale, tear it into bite size pieces, and place into a large bowl.
  2. Drizzle oil over kale, and toss to coat.
  3. After the oil has coated each piece of kale, sprinkle nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper onto kale.
  4. Toss until thoroughly coated.

  1. Refrigerate for several hours, or up to a full day, before serving.
    1. Note:  I prefer these chips a full day after they have been made because the kale has softened and fully absorbed the flavors.
Don't let kale scare you! 

Next time you are at the grocery store, pick some up and give this humble vegetable from the cruciferous family a fair shot!

Question of the Day:

Have you ever eaten kale?  If so, did you like it?

 Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment