November 10, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal & Pumpkin Spice Pudding

In my last post I promised you a pumpkin recipe extravaganza.  Well, here it is!


Y'all already know that I love pumpkin.  If you think I'm exaggerating, I think the evidence speaks for itself both here and here.

Anything Pumpkin = YUMM-O!

When I'm in the mood for something comforting and filling for breakfast, my go-to is oatmeal.  With the addition of pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice, this recipe is over-the-top-good for getting your morning off on the right foot!


I think my photography is getting a little bit better...

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal
Serves 1

1/2 C rolled oats
1 1/2 C water (or 1 C water, 1/2 C unsweetened almond milk or vice versa for an extra creamy version)
pinch of salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 stevia packets (or 1 T brown sugar)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp butter extract (or 1 tsp Smart Balance or other butter)
1/2 C pumpkin puree

Directions:

  1. Place oats, salt, and liquid (i.e. water and/or milk) into a medium pot.
  2. Heat over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
  3. Stir in all other ingredients until smooth.
  4. Reheat for 1-2 minutes.
  5. Serve.
Suggested toppings include:

  • chopped pecans;
  • chopped walnuts;
  • unsweetened, shredded coconut;
  • dried cranberries; and/or
  • raisins.


If you are a little weird like me :), you might prefer to make your oatmeal the night before, place it in the fridge, and eat it cold in the morning.  I know that sounds SO weird, but I honestly LOVE cold oatmeal.  Strange, I know, but there is just something about the cold, creamy porridge that I can't get enough of!  Just call me Goldilocks :) hehehe...

Moving on to recipe extravaganza Part #2!

It's smoothe.  It's creamy.  It's Autumn in a bowl.  It's...

Served over raspberries and apple chunks.  Garnished with coconut flakes and cinnamon.

Pumpkin Spice Pudding!
Serves 2

1 box Mori-Nu Silken Lite Firm Tofu (Don't let tofu scare you off!  Keep reading!)
1/2 C pumpkin puree
3/4-1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 T Silk Original coffee creamer (or unsweetened almond milk)
2-4 stevia packets (depending upon your sweet tooth, or 2 T brown sugar)

Directions:

  1. Place all ingredients in your food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Serve.


IMPORTANT:  You must use silken tofu for this recipe!


If you use the other kind of tofu (block, sitting in water) you will have an ooey, gooey, slimy mess!  The total opposite of YUMM-O! BLECK!

For those of you that aren't tofu veterans like me, don't let the fear of the unknown scare you!  This pudding is sweet and creamy, and you can't tell it has tofu in it at. all.  I guarantee you that this pudding could fool even the most ardent tofu-hater.   Silken tofu is your friend!

On the first day I had the Pumpkin Spice Pudding for a snack.  I garnished it with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and unsweetened coconut flakes, and had a glass of orange juice and mineral water.  It hit the spot perfectly and held me over until dinner-time!


On day two, I had the pudding as a late-night snack/dinner.  I served it over a bed of warmed raspberries and apples, and topped it with coconut and cinnamon.  I also had a side of honey-butter toast :)  YUM!



Unfortunately, the pudding was gone by day three.  I had hoped to stir it into some oatmeal. :(  Oh well, that just means I have to make it again...and SOON!

Question of the Day:

Do you like oatmeal?  I find that it is a polarizing food: you either love it or you hate it.  Which camp do you fall into?!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment