November 5, 2012

Southwestern Egg In A Hole

NEWSFLASH - I just ate an egg for breakfast!  

As you know, 9 (and a half) times out of 10, oatmeal is my go-to breakfast.  I wake up craving it, and I am not satisfied until a huge bowl has satiated my hunger.

Well, not today.  

After watching an episode of The Pioneer Woman on The Food Network I was inspired.  Basically, I used her recipe as a starting point, and made a few alterations to give it a Southwestern twist.  For instance, I:
  • omitted the use of butter; and
  • substituted green chile for the salsa/pico de gallo.

The result was amazing!  I'm sure I'll go back to my trusty oatmeal at some point, but for now, I am perfectly content with eating an egg for breakfast. (Seriously, who would have ever thunk it?!)


Southwestern Egg In A Hole
Serves 1

nonstick cooking spray (I used the butter flavored kind!)
3 small corn tortillas
1 egg
salt and pepper, to taste
1-2T organic sour cream
1-2T Hatch green chile

Directions:
  • Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
  • Meanwhile, use a cookie cutter (or the top of a jar, like me) to cut three identical circles in the middle of each tortilla.
  • Spray the saucepan with non stick spray.
  • Place the stacked tortillas in the pan, and crack the egg into the hole.
  • Season with salt and pepper.
  • Cover the saucepan for 1 minute.
  • Uncover the saucepan and carefully flip the tortilla/egg.
  • Season the other side with salt and pepper, and cook for 1-2 minutes (until the egg has reached your desired consistency...I like my yolk really runny!).
  • Place the Southwestern Egg In A Hole onto a small plate.  Garnish with sour cream and green chile.
  • DEVOUR!

As with most of my recipes, substitution options are bountiful.  For instance, if you don't have sour cream, plain Greek yogurt should do that trick; you could also sprinkle some shredded cheese on top.  If green chile isn't a staple in your pantry like it is in ours, you could also substitute salsa or pico de gallo.  Whatever you do, don't use missing an item or two for this recipe as an excuse not to make it...just wing it!  I assure you that it will still be delicious!

Ever since making this concoction for the first time, I have eaten it three times over the last week.  For someone who loves eggs that might not be a very big deal, BUT for someone who loves oatmeal as much as I do, that's a record!  You know it must be good if I am willing to give up my delicious bowl of oats for an egg.  

With that said, you should definitely try this SOON!


Question of the Day:

Do you prefer eggs for breakfast, or something more along the lines of oatmeal/toast/cereal?

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment