April 18, 2012

Banana Cream of Wheat

As evidenced on my Recipage, I have a profound love of all things oatmeal.  In fact, I eat oatmeal for breakfast approximately five days a weeks.  As for the other two mornings, I usually end up making pancakes, french toast (both vegan, of course), or a tofu scramble.  Regardless, oatmeal in practically any form is my tummy's friend:


You name it, and I love it on, or in, my oats!  

But believe it or not, there are times where I need a little change of pace...when I need to take a short reprieve from even my most favorite of foods.  In those times, good old-fashioned Cream of Wheat is my favorite go-to substitute.

The past couple of mornings I have worked to perfect a Cream of Wheat recipe for the blog.  It took three tries, but on the third morning I hit the jackpot!
Silky-smooth, buttery-rich, and semi-sweet like a Banana Cream Pie, this Banana Cream of Wheat will hit the spot first thing in the morning.  Don't skip the Smart Balance and creamer!  They are important ingredients in creating the pudding-like texture of this guiltless breakfast treat.


Banana Cream of Wheat
Serves 1

1 1/2 C water
pinch of salt
3 heaping T Cream of Wheat
1 banana, halved and thinly sliced
2 stevia packets
1 T Smart Balance (or butter)
1 T soy creamer (or regular, plain-flavored creamer)


Directions:

  • Place the water and pinch of salt into a small saucepan.
  • Bring to a low boil.
  • While the water is waiting to boil, microwave half of the sliced banana for one minute.  
  • Use a fork to whisk the microwaved banana until it reaches an egg-like in consistency.  
  • Set aside.
  • Once the water/salt begin to boil, add the Cream of Wheat.
  • Immediately reduce heat and, using a whisk, mix together.
  • Add the eggy-banana, stevia, butter, and creamer to the Cream of Wheat mixture.
  • Once slightly thickened, pour into a large bowl.
  • Top with the remaining half of the sliced banana, and serve immediately.


Next time - a rutabaga recipe that you WON'T. WANT. TO. MISS.  Seriously, this is one of the best things that I have eaten in months...maybe years (and Bo agreed)!  Cheap, delicious, and mouth-wateringly good, you have to come back for this recipe!

Question of the Day:


Do you like Cream of Wheat?  I find that a lot of people don't.  If not, I am 99% sure that you could substitute oatmeal for the Cream of Wheat in this recipe!

Blessings,
Ally and Bo

No comments:

Post a Comment